Friday, April 5, 2013
The Rules of Production: Use Presets, Modify Presets, Sample and Create.
1. The best way to create music is to use other people's preset sounds.
2. Change them up. If they aren't quite right, you can try modifying them.
3. Borrow and sample. If you like a sound on someone else's music you should sample it!! Create a new music from old.
4. Add effects. Effects put a new spin on any sound instantly.
5. Demo presets against other peoples music. This is a time saver. You can tell if the sound has enough energy, style, etc. to make your final track. You can also tell if you need to adjust the effects (eq, reverb, panning, compression).
Its nice to know how sound works, however, thats not necessary to know in order to make music. Learning your synth in its entirety is a long process. Lots of artists haven't explored what their hardware is capable of, but its also not necessary.